Thursday, June 28, 2018

cutting the cord

Yes, you read that title right! Tomorrow we are going to start the journey of cutting the cable cord! I was able to locate the kids antenna in the back closet so they can use that when they don't want to use the other options that they will have.

Right now we have the triple play bundle with Spectrum. We've had this bundle for a few years. Well what happens after 2 years of having it??? They hike the price waaaaaaaay up. With tax we were paying $120. These past couple of months the price hike took effect and went up to $180 with tax a month. I'm like nope. Can't do it anymore. There are other options out there that can help us out so much and save us money.

So the first step was seeing how much just internet will be. I checked just before starting this blog. The person I talked with said our bill would be $69.99. I'm sure a little more with taxes. They also gave me the number to call and said that maybe someone would be able to give me a promotion as well to make my bill even cheaper. The plan is for 100mbps speeds and free wifi and modem. That sounded like a good plan to me.
I looked into a couple of the streaming services and decided that Directv NOW would be our best option for the channels we watch. It has all the channels I watch and the kids channels they watch. It's $35 a month but for the first 3 months it's $10 a month. I like those numbers! You get 2 screens to screen on simultaneously. I will get a feel for it in those 3 months. If it doesn't work out, then I will switch over to Sling. That's $30 a month with the channels I would have to add on.
We also have the Amazon Fire Stick. I've made some tweeks to it so I can use it to my liking. I've downloaded some apps to use on it as well. The DirecTv app is ready to go on it, along with other streaming services, like Netflix and Hulu. We can use Netflix and Hulu on our Smart TV as well. Netflix is now $10.99 a month with the plan we use. Hulu is $7.99. I think if you're a new subscriber with Hulu though you can get it for $5.99. So with all of those options, I'm looking at spending $123.97 a month before taxes. Probably around $130 after taxes. That's after the 3 months though. For the next 3 months I'm looking at spending about $100. I think that's a lot better than $180 a month! That extra money will go towards diapers and wipes and school clothes!

I'm hoping this adventure works out for us. I'd love to save the extra money each month. I will keep you all posted as to how our first week goes using it!

No comments:

Post a Comment