Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Geeking Out

So I feel like we all have those 1 or 2 things that we all geek or nerd out over. Sometimes we don't get to express it as much because the people we hang with don't really get it or they do get it to an extent but not the extent that you do. So today I'd like to dive into the two things I geek out over!


Yup. I'm one of those people. I am a star wars geek! I wasn't always a Star Wars geek though. It started for me in 2006 I wanna say. Yes, I was waaaaay late to the Star Wars game. In all fairness though, I wasn't around in the 1970's when it first started. It started to look fun to me when Lego came out with the Lego Star Wars video game. My brother got the demo of the game and it just looked so fun. We rented it on New Years Eve in 2006 going into 2007 and played the game the whole night into the new year. From that point I decided to watch the original trilogy. I got the DVD's from the library and then I was hooked. 
I love Han and Leia's relationship. Just the back and forth with each other, basically in denial about how much they really like each other. Leia is awesome just by herself as well. She's a strong female character who shows other girls and women that she can take care of herself when she needs to. She is a princess who recently turned into a general. Han Solo is awesome as well because he is funny. Especially with his sidekick Chewbacca.
Now ask me about my favorite charactes from Episodes 1-3 and I will immediately tell you Anakin. Anakin as a teenager though because good God is he gorgeous! Why oh why did he have to turn bad? Always after the bad boys. A lot of people will tell you that from these 3 movies their least favorite character is the infamous Jar Jar Binks. He doesn't bother me like he does the whole Star Wars community. 
So why do I love Star Wars so much? It's something completely different than most movies. You get to explore the galaxy. I wish I had a better answer as to why I love Star Wars so much. The plain and simple answer is.....I just do.
My 2nd nerd obsession is the wonderful Harry Potter universe. I didn't get involved with Mr Potter until the Prisoner of Azkaban movie. Two of my high school friends and I were having a sleepover. We were planning on going to the movies. They kept insisting we were going to see the new harry potter movie and i kept saying no were not. Well before we went to the movie I had to watch the first 2 movies to catch up on everything. I was hooked after the 1st movie. It was something new and different. So I only went to one of the book releases. I went to the Deathly Hallows book release because I don't think I had started reading the books until right after the Half Blood Prince book release. Being a Harry Potter nerd means you have read the books AND seen the movies. You can talk with other nerds about how the books were so much better than the movies because in books stuff isn't left out. Movies like to change stuff or leave stuff out which is extremely frustrating. We Harry Potter nerds would sit through a long ass movie if it meant that nothing was cut out from it. 

With Harry Potter, you wish and dream for that letter from Hogwarts. You wish magic was real to cast a spell on that enemy or that one true love or just to have a fun duel with a friend.

Severus Snape.....what can I say about him? He was a character you never would see yourself crying over his death, but you do because of everything that was revealed with him. I cry every single time with his death. Honestly, I cry with all of the deaths......Cedric Diggory, Sirius Black, Albus Dumbledore, Severus Snape, Fred Weasley, Tonks, Remus Lupin. Those are the death's I cry about. 

Harry Potter teaches us to be kind to everyone no matter what differences they have. That's a lesson I gained from it. 
You could look like young Neville and turn out to be a gorgeous man in the end. The Harry Potter community went nuts seeing Neville in the final films. He went from awkward little boy to OMG!

One day I hope to get down to Florida to visit both the Harry Potter world and the soon to be opening Star Wars world. It's on my bucket list. For now I have to rely on friends who go down there for pictures.

So in closing, why do I like both of these universes so much? Because they are worlds that take me away from everyday life. It gives me something fun to watch with my kids and just get away from the real world for awhile. If I'm having a bad week or a bad day, I can go to one of these films and it cheers me right up. So if you're a friend of mine and I've ever bored you with either of these obsessions, I'm sorry. but these are two things that really excite me in life and I want to share my joy with it with you all. If you ever tell me you want to sit and watch these films, i will be there with snacks.....and 4 kids. If you say "Hey let's read the harry potter books together" I will grab my kindle and get started!

Share your nerdiness and geekiness with the world. Don't hide it. Be yourself!



No comments:

Post a Comment