Friday, September 29, 2017

Tonsils are gone!!!

I apologize for not posting in so long. It's been a long couple of weeks for us here. Let's start off with the big day!!!
Kayla went on September 19th to get her tonsils and adenoids removed because she snored slightly in her sleep and I didn't want it being an issue when she got older. Plus I hear it helps with less sore throats. We'll see if that's true or not.

While waiting for her turn in surgery, Kayla got to decorate her mask with stickers and chap stick. Now some of you are going "Why did she decorate it with chap stick?" I asked myself the same question. So here's the answer. What the nurses do is give the child some Lip Smackers chap stick that have different fun smells and you smear it on the inside of the mask and that's the smell you'll smell while going to sleep before surgery. Kayla chose a banana type smell. It smelled really good even though I don't like bananas.(Yes I know, I'm weird.) She also chose to color a picture while waiting. She never finished it though. She used gel pens to decorate it.
We ended up getting pushed back and they were also behind, so we got to enjoy 3 movies!!! We watched half of Zootopia, The Princess and the Frog, and Frozen(can't we just let it go already?) Not long after Frozen ended, Kayla's Dr finally came to talk with us and then she was heading off to surgery. Kayla got a little upset when it was time to go but I told her it would all be okay and she would be asleep. The nurse even said she would play whatever music Kayla asked for. Kayla requested Disney music. I love the nurses at Rainbows!
Surgery took a couple of hours with getting her to sleep, then the actual surgery, then waking up a little before we could go back. We were given a pager to let us know when surgery was done. I felt all 90's with it.

I was so relieved when we could finally go back and see her. There was a couple of times she took these big gasps of air that scared the crap outta me. The nurse assured me it was okay though. Her throat isn't used to so much more space. She was excited to eat a Popsicle. She ate 2 of them!

We were finally cleared to go home after 3:30. They gave us a sick bag just in case. She didn't need it though. She was fine.
This is what she spent a majority of the next 24 hours doing. I made sure she drank as much as possible. She was getting pretty annoyed with me telling her to drink all the time, but it's what mom's do. Didn't want her getting dehydrated and ending back in the hospital.
A few days after surgery, I got Kayla a mermaid blanket. She enjoyed it a lot. She was basically being a mermaid this entire time being home. She's barely spoken at all, so she was Ariel and I guess the evil sea witch stole her voice. She's finally talking more today though.

Last weekend I had dealt with some tooth pain and ended up getting 3 teeth pulled. I'm still dealing with phantom pain from time to time but I'm glad that I got it taken care of. It was an interesting weekend having both me and Kayla on a soft food diet. Joey ate whatever and Emma and Alex ate their usual hot dogs
Today after having breakfast, we got out of the house for a little bit before we had to get Emma from school. We went shopping for some milk and cookies. I also got Emma an outfit for her very 1st picture day next week.(sorry, no spoilers)

We checked out some ideas for Christmas gifts and had fun looking at Christmas decorations. I really liked the Minion. It was huge! After we got Emma from school, I had a fun surprise for the kids!




We spent some time at the Greater Cleveland Aquarium. We haven't been there all summer, so we were due for a visit. It doesn't take long to walk through. Maybe 45 minutes if that. After the trip to the aquarium, we headed back home for a little while.

Kayla is heading back to school on Monday and I can not wait!!! Yes it makes my mornings a little more hectic, but at least I get my hour with Alex back.

No comments:

Post a Comment